The Beslan School Memorial
Tuesday, September 14, 2004
  Islam: Guilty Until Proven Innocent Jeff at Beautiful Atrocities gives the detailed treatment to the Russian school massacre. As always, his is a link-rich rebuke to the moral sewer that is the muslim world's internal handling of its own extremism.
In this post, I gave a mostly emotional reaction to the disgusting barbarism of a surprisingly large number of muslims, and the sickening, pathetic blame-shifting of the "moderate" ones.
I think what I was really getting at then (and was perhaps too angry to communicate clearly) is this: I'm done trying to draw distinctions between "moderate" and "extremist" Islam.
As for individuals, no, I don't automatically presume that every muslim, man for man, is one of the simpering sympathetes that tacitly agree with or at least refuse to condemn their co-religionists' evil (though I reserve the right to be suspicious about the possibility).
But as far as the religion as a whole goes, in my mind Islam is now guilty until proven innocent. That means the burden of proof is on the supposed vast majority of moderates and liberals to exculpate their faith. I'm not going to waste my energy trying to find the evidence myself, because for the life of me I can't see the point in trying to defend a religion that produces regular, frequent iterations of this.
So, followers of the Prophet, the ball is in your court. You say your religion isn't a stain on the modern world? That it's a beautiful faith of tolerance and love?
Prove it. You've been doing a piss-poor job of it thus far.
And in the meanwhile, don't count on me to do any of the heavy-lifting for you. From now on I'm limiting my attention to what needs to be done to kill and defeat enough people to keep Islam's faults from spilling out into the civilized world.
Posted by Russell Wardlow at September 5, 2004 09:14 AM
Trackback Pings
TrackBack URL for this entry:http://www.russellwardlow.net/blog/mt-tb.cgi/80
Comments
Agreed.
Posted by: Dan at September 5, 2004 09:39 PM
And even if they DID condemn the horrors committed in the name of their religion, how can we be sure they're telling the truth?
Posted by: tomaig at September 6, 2004 05:21 AM
Ooops...no linkTry this:
http://www.islamreview.com/articles/lyingprint.htm
Posted by: tomaig at September 6, 2004 05:22 AM
I don't think that Islam has much time before the rest of the world launches a war of extermination, I strongly suspect that it's already too late for the Muslims of Chechnya.Perhaps the Russian response will be, in it's harshness, enough to bring Islam to it's senses although I shall not hold my breath. I can think of few more dangerous places in this world right now than a Mosque anywhere in Russia. As the Russians burn them down and kill the congregations I shall just repeat that old Spanish proverb, loosely translated, "screw around with the bull and get the horn".
Posted by: Peter at September 7, 2004 05:55 PM
 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

ARCHIVES
September 2004 /


Powered by Blogger